Course / product type
Assessment & Test. 75% Pass mark
Course / product delivery
Working on the Public Highway Traffic Management - High Speed Roads
Min number of learners
Max number of learners
Summary / introduction
National Highway Sector Scheme 12A/B for static temporary traﬃc management on motorways and high speed dual carriageways including on-line widening schemes.
All persons who will be required by their employer to work on high speed roads, running mobile hard shoulder (or non-live lane) operations using an IPV and for protecting and installing static temporary traﬃc management. Course delegates must hold the appropriate HGV category on their driving licence. To drive on live lanes the candidate must hold a valid 12A operative card (inl. unit 3 assessment) otherwise they are restricted to mobile hard shoulder operations(non-live lanes).
From 1st April 2016 candidates must have completed the Temporary Traﬃc Management Basic Course (TTMBC) if new to the industry and do not hold other current NHSS 12ABC TTM skills registration cards/certiﬁcates. They will not be required to gain 3 months ‘on the job’ experience prior to attending the IPV course.
This course will cover:
- Quality Assurance and Sector Schemes Health and safety
- Reference documentation Traﬃc management vehicles
- Impact Protection Vehicle (IPV) drivers roles and limitations
- End of course question paper IPV drivers practical assessment
- End of course debrieﬁng and evaluation
On completion of this course learners will:
- Be aware of the Sector Scheme documents
- Be aware of the general health and safety requirements at work as well as those, which are speciﬁc to the traﬃc management industry
- Understand the importance of risk assessments and method statements for traﬃc management activities
- Be aware of the reference documentation used for traﬃc management
- Know the requirements for an impact protection vehicle as described in the relevant reference documents
- Be able to conduct pre-work checks on an impact protection vehicle
- Understand the procedures used for protecting the installation of a static temporary traﬃc management taper
- Understand the procedures used for protecting mobile hard shoulder operations
- Understand the extent of their duties after achieving this card
- Understand the diﬀerent types of work that are beyond the scope of this training and require full mobile lane closure techniques to be implemented
- Demonstrate they have suﬃcient underpinning knowledge required to be an IPV driver
- Prepare an IPV ready for working on the hard shoulder Arrive on site and set up the operation correctly
- Operate to safe working procedures including hazard and junction negotiation
- Remove the operation correctly
Learn more about our other National Highways Sector Scheme Training & Assessments courses.