NHSS 12AB General Operative
The finer details
This course will cover:
- Quality Assurance and National Highway Sector Schemes
- BS EN ISO 9001
- National Highway Sector Scheme 12
Health and Safety at Work:
- Employer and Employee responsibilities
- Health and Safety at Work Act (HSE)
- Risk Assessments & Method Statements – What are they, why have them
Chapter 8 of the Traffic Signs Manual:
- Types of works, definitions, safety zones
- Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions – What is it, how does it relate to the TTM industry
- Publications relative to the temporary traffic management industry
Traffic Management Operations:
- Signing and coning requirements – Setting out closures, road markings, marker posts
- Temporary Traffic Management vehicle requirements – Different types of vehicles
- Checking and loading vehicles – How vehicles should be loaded for easy unloading, who is responsible for the vehicle and it’ load, Gross vehicle weights, Unladen weights
- Crossing the carriageway on foot – Introduction to Health and Safety document CIS 53
- Discussion on safe working methods for installation, maintenance, and removal of signs and cones – Does not give systems of work but looks at different issues to be considered when developing a safe system of work.
Who should attend?
All persons who will be required by their employer to work on motorways and or high-speed dual carriageways.
What will be covered?
On completion of this course you will:
- Understand the principles of Quality Assurance
- Be aware of the training and assessment process to become a registered Temporary Traffic Management Operative
- Be aware of the relevant Health and Safety legislation and their responsibilities
- Be aware of safe working practices
- Be aware of reference documentation used within the Temporary Traffic Management industry
- Be able to understand safe working methods that are used to install, maintain and remove temporary traffic management equipment
- Be able to plan a Chapter 8 closure from a given datum
Other areas of interest
You can obtain full Operative status (TM card) by completing the 12A/B General Operative course and a set of on and off-site assessments as prescribed in the Sector Scheme document.
The assessments must be completed within a two year period starting from the date of the 1st assessment.
Highways England, Transport Scotland, Welsh Assembly and Transport NI on their motorways and high speed dual carriageways road networks
If you are new to the industry or do not hold other current NHSS 12ABCD Temporary Traffic Management skills registration cards/certificates (excluding 12D M7) you will need to undertake the Temporary Traffic Management Basic Course (TTMBC). You will be required to gain 3 months ‘on the job’ experience prior to attending the 12A/B General Operative course.